Sunday, July 09, 2006

Swingers nursing home

Yesterday was my monthly visit to the nursing home. It's probably the closest thing I have to making house calls. Walking up to the nurses station, I saw their big screen TV. Of course, in a nursing home, the volume is turned up. On TBS was the movie Swingers with Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau. This is one of the best movies EVER! All I heard down the hall was, "Vegas, baby, Vegas!" More quotes here.

I visited some of my patients down the hall and then came back to the nurses station to fill out some paperwork. As I look up, it's the one "quasi" racy part of the movie with Vince Vaughn making out with this hottie. The funny part is that when I looked up from the desk, there are five wheelchairs huddled around the TV, but all the people in the wheelchairs are sleeping! This sight was SO money!

Then, I realized that I was watching a love scene on TV in a nursing home. I had these conflicting emotions -- part of me wanted to bust out laughing, and the other part was getting more and more nauseated. I quickly finished my rounds before my emotions overcame me.

9 comments:

The Tundra PA said...

Thanks so much for mentioning me on your blog! I'm honored--thrilled, actually.

Up here on the edge of the planet, trendiness is pretty non-existant. So I'll just have to outright ask: what the heck does "money" mean? As in your new blog subtitle and describing the sight of wheelchair occupants sleeping through a love scene.

And the nausea part--what's up with that? You ain't got a problem with oldsters gettin' it on, now do ya, doc? The physical equipment may age, but desire doesn't necessarily. Dutch and I will be goin' at it when we're 90!

Dr. A said...

I always confuse people with the lines from the movies I watch. Being "money" has a positive connotation and is drawn from several lines in that movie.

I don't have a problem with "oldsters gettin it on." I guess nausea was the wrong word choice. It's just that when you think of going into the stereotypical nursing home, I'm used to seeing game shows or westerns or the shopping network on the TV. Maybe the staff put on this movie, I don't know.

To me, it was kind of funny in an interesting way and, unfortunately, I wasn't able to convey the experience in my post today.

Oh well, maybe I'll do better tomorrow...

GaffLady said...

i spent yesterday watching that movie, it seems to be in the running on TBS or something. have one guy friend loves to repeat the line "your money baby". love vince vaughn, so followed the afternoon with wedding crashers.

Cathy said...

I think we realize that "old folks get it on" (or atleast they fantasize of it) but I can understand Dr. A.s remarks. I have to admit, whenever I had thoughts about my parents "doin that" it was kind of a sickening thought to me.

I do think it's cute that they were watching a movie like that though.

shade said...

ohh man thank you for the laugh:)

jumpinginpuddles said...

Although its funny in some aspects its horribly sad in another, we will all be more than likely in the same boat and that thought is sobering :(

Lea said...

I love it that you have a sense of humor, even in a nursing home. I could picture them asleep in their chairs, missing the best part of the movie!

Anonymous said...

Wow ... just now realizing that my comment must have been sacrificed to the great god of cyberspace ...

I left a comment on here yesterday, and since it didn't use offensive language, and wasn't "controversial" in any way, I assume that had it actually "taken" ... it would still be here.

I think I said something about there being a huge incongruity between the show on TV and the setting ... but I can't remember all of it.

I'm sorry ... *blink!*

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh One of my favorite movies!! That post and the accompanying visual I have brought a huge grin to my face.

"Your so money" Dr. A