Sunday, June 29, 2008

Taking A Step Back




Every so often, one has to take a step back and take a look at the big picture. It's been a little while since my last blog break, and I think I'm at that point right now. First of all, I'm scheduled to take my board exam at the end of July. I can't believe that it's been seven years since I've finished residency. Time flies by when you're having fun. So, I definitely have to focus on that.

Secondly, I can not say it enough how much I have been just blown away by Podcamp Ohio this past weekend. I met a lot of great people. There were a handful of people who I only knew through e-mail or blogs or podcasts - to meet them in person was quite a treat.

I talked to a lot of people about my blog and about my show - everything from technical questions to lifestyle questions (like why publicly I still identify myself without my real name). And, I have to tell you that they gave me a lot to think about - as far as marketing, identity, and other stuff.

So, I've decided that I'm really going to cut down on blogging for a little while (I wasn't blogging that much anyway). I'm not scheduling any shows this month. I'm going to concentrate on my boards. I'm also going to think about if I need to take the blog and the show in a different direction - or to change things around at all.

Don't worry, I'm not completely going "off the grid." I will remain very active on Twitter and I will continue to read blogs and occasionally leave a comment. I also shot a bunch of video at Podcamp Ohio this past weekend. I may post them here for you to check out. But, I'll definitely post them on the Podcamp Ohio group site on Viddler.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know exactly what this means... but I don't think I like it. What's a groupie to do? Please advise.

P.S. I'm taking my boards in August. Sending you well wishes...

:)

Anonymous said...

I think blog breaks are crucial to refresh. Although, it does abandon readers.

Ever consider guest bloggers or, more important for you, a guest host for your show? DrVal strikes me as someone who would be a great guest host. Dporter would likely be very good as well. Maybe rotate a guest host every week during the break?

It would allow you to take a break bu still keep momentum.

Mary said...

Yeah, I'm with Val on this one! What do we Dr. A fans do when you leave? And who's going to get us all together to chat? And who will we have to look at on their webcam while we laugh at their silly pink shirts, birthday balloons, and diet coke?!? We Dr. A Show fans can't go Cold Turkey!! Like Chris said, find someone to guest host until you come back! Who else will bring us all together for a chat to perk up our thursday nights? I'd do it, but you saw how my ustream "Party" turned out! No one would show up!

You'd better twitter a whole heck of alot! Cuz gosh darn it if you don't, I'll miss you an aweful lot more than I already will.

I hope at least some of that was grammatically structured to give you a vague idea of what I was trying to say.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about blog breaks; one might argue that's all I've had for a while now ;) Even with my puny readership I can say that the people who really read you for YOU will be here when you return. The rest? Well, there'll be a new crop of 'em to hook in when the time comes. :)

With the "pressure" of the radio show, etc. off while you prep for boards, you may find it easier to just pop in and write the occasional post because you really want to. That'd be cool.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your break! See you when you get back and I look forward to seeing what you have in store for us when you get back!

Vijay said...

Good Luck with your Boards Dr.A. Prepare well.

I'm with Chris on the idea of having a guest host for your show. Actually any of your fans who are registered at BTR could do it at the same time of the week from their own account. We'll just have to call it the 'Travelling Dr.A Show.' I vote for Val going first.

I've seen you take blog breaks a couple of times before & you've come back like you said. I'm sure you will come back this time too. I just hope you'll come back as the real you.

Dr. A said...

Thanks so much for everyone's comments and well wishes! I really appreciate it!

With regards to the show, it'd be great to have a guest host. If anyone is interested, please let me know. I'm not going to seek out a guest host on short notice like this - that's not really something fair to them.

I understand that I may lose some audience because of being abrupt and stopping. But, I guess that's the risk you take sometimes.

Mary said...

Weeeelll. . . I guess it's alright if you take a small break. Although I never knew that blogoholics took breaks from blogging. Alcoholics don't take breaks from alcohol.

All jesting aside- While I'm sure I wouldn't be able to replace you or your show on Blog Talk Radio. . . I'd be more than willing to host a ustream party/get-together for everyone on thursday nights in leiu of the usual Dr. A Show until you get back. Just so that we don't go the whole time not chatting to each other because you're not there to start the party.

Just a suggestion.

Unknown said...

Hey DA! Dude, very cool to meet you! I pulled a Kait and left the cellular under a pillow at the hotel after PCO. Dang it! During your blog break, we'll need to gather troops for a NEO geek get together. Keep in touch...

-Kait
www.somesangs.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Dr A -

I finally remember to check in for your show, and there you go...taking a break! I cant win.

Good luck on your boards, Dr. A! FInd yourself a cool used white Oldsmobile coupe to blow off some steam!

Erplane

Anonymous said...

Breaks are a good thing - just make sure you come back.

Good luck with your Boards

may said...

well wishes on the boards. i hate exams of any kind, because i hate studying. i hope you're not like me :)