Saturday, November 10, 2007

Countdown to Grand Rounds


Last year, when I hosted for the first time, I did a little research on how this whole thing got started. I posted it here last year. But, in case no one read that, I'll re-post the text here, because it is good reading....

Did you know that Grand Rounds was almost called things like "Carnival of the Caregivers," or, "Melee of the Medics," or, "Party of the Providers," or, "Hulabaloo of the Healers?" How different would things have turned out if one of those names were chosen?

Here are some other things I found:
August 6, 2004: Now, a certain fraction of medi-blog posts are too esoteric for the lay reader, but actually not that many. And that's part of the appeal: Each week authors would pick a post that general blog readers could understand and enjoy, and a rotating volunteer blogger would host the links. What gets linked would be at the host's discretion -- hopefully a nice mix of quality patient stories, science news, and policy points.

September 13, 2004:
If you're a medical blogger (which so many of you are), and if you're interested in reaching more nonmedical readers, listen to this: I've received a lot of positive feedback about the idea for "Grand Rounds" (Carnival of the Caregivers) -- a series of "best-of-the-week" posts from around the medical blogosphere, with rotating hosts.

September 28, 2004 (The First Grand Rounds):
Welcome to the debut of Grand Rounds, the weekly summary of the best of the medical blogosphere. It's our hope that this new feature will introduce a wider audience to the expanding array of talented doctors, nurses, techs and students writing online today. This week, we've got a roundup of new medical reports, opinions on current health topics, and a look into several medical specialties. Plus, some stories from caregivers to make you laugh, cry, or spur the contemplation of your mortality.

I'm off the Arizona for a long weekend. I'm going to try this Twitter thing while I'm out there. So, feel free to follow me on my Twitter site. Don't forget that the Grand Rounds Premiere show on my internet radio show is Monday night, November 12th, 2007 beginning at 11:30pm eastern time.

2 comments:

Dr. Val said...

Dr. A - 11:30pm is past my bed time. Sorry I can't be there! :) Glad Arizona is enjoyable!

Chrysalis said...

Chrysalis is out cold by then too. Glad you're having a good time Dr. A.