Thursday, October 18, 2007

Forget stretching


Finally! A study whose results I can get behind. I hate streching. Stretching is for the birds. I hate those people in their ivory exercise towers who preach to me that for a proper workout, one needs to stretch before and after a session.

That's rubbish! And, now there is data to prove this. Researchers at the University of Sydney reviewed ten studies that tried to answer this question. The results have just been published in the prestigious Cochrane database. (WebMD)
The Australian researchers focused only on the ability of stretching to reduce soreness. And if your only reason to stretch is to avoid soreness, [researcher] de Noronha says the review proves "you don't need to go through the hassle because it does not actually work."
All right, I'm going to the gym and telling all those annoyingly perfectly physically fit people out there that I do not need to stretch to avoid soreness. Pshaw! Another myth exposed. But, to really avoid soreness, I just don't exercise? But, if I don't exercise, won't that lead to obesity? Apparently not! Read here.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Er... well the Cochrane people said that stretching doesn't reduce future soreness caused by exercise. But it's still appropriate for reducing the chances of injury... so unfortunately we can't escape the stretching. I say this as a person who was kicked out of yoga class for being disruptive - only because I was too stiff to do any of it!

Rach said...

I knew it! no stretching for me! Which means that I get 10 more minutes for sleeping before I get up for my run tomorrow! ... which leads me to your post below...

Travis Cody said...

When I'm able to work out, I stretch for about 15 minutes just so I don't hurt myself.

Since I haven't been able to work out, I've been stretching so I don't lose flexibility.

My coaches preached stretching, and I guess the habit is hard to break.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...

But what about the theory that people can cramp up and tighten up in a bad way due to excess acid that builds up in the muscles after exercise? Also, whenever I get done with a tough workout, stretching makes me feel so relaxed and refreshed! I'm not giving up on stretching just yet.

tk said...

I never feel like working out, but I always feel great afterward . . . and I seem to be losing weight (sloooowly . . . I do like to eat!)