I remember when mom and dad got their first microwave oven. I think I was eight years old. When I asked mom what this thing could do, the very first thing she did was put a bag of microwave popcorn in there and turned it on. I was hypnotized by watching and hearing the kernels pop. (image credit)
Now, according to this article from the AP, it is being learned that frequent use of microwave popcorn could put you at risk for a type of lung disease called "popcorn lung."
[A patient] described progressively worsening respiratory symptoms of coughing and shortness of breath. Tests found his ability to exhale was deteriorating, [Dr. Cecile] Rose [pulmonary specialist] said, although his condition seemed to stabilize after he quit using microwave popcorn.The article goes on to say that more study and research needs to be done to confirm these findings. But, can you imagine the implications if a definite connection is made? This is really making me think twice. Maybe I should opt more for milk duds rather than popcorn while watching my fave DVDs.