Thursday, December 20, 2007

Prostate cancer and tea


I know what you're thinking, "Dr A., what's the connection here?" I have to admit that I'm not really a tea fan, but my family is (maybe I was adopted - HA!). Anyway, there's a study from Japan that was just released stating that a certain type of tea - namely Green Tea - can decrease the risk of prostate cancer. (Associated Press)
A study of nearly 50,000 Japanese men aged 40-69 found that those who drank five or more cups of green tea a day reduced their risk of having progressive prostate cancer by half, compared with those who drank a cup or less, according to the Epidemiology and Prevention Division of the National Cancer Center in Tokyo.
Christmas is less than a week away now (Wow, I can't believe that). So, if you're like me and do all of your Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve (It's really fun!), then don't forget about the gift of tea. Who knows? It may make a good re-gift for someone in 2008. HA!

5 comments:

Kb said...

Just make sure the green tea gift isn't going to someone on blood thinners.

Green tea is also great for adult acne.

Dr. Deb said...

Another good reason to drink tea, I say.

It's me, T.J. said...

I know I haven't been by in a while...

Stopping by to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Blessed and Prosperous New Year.

BTW...

I like green tea. It's good for women too, right?

;+ )

later...

Anonymous said...

Hey there KB, or Dr A re KB's comment....what's the deal with green tea and blood thinners? I'm on plavix, an antiplatelet.

Happy holidays to all.

Kb said...

Hubby had a transplant last year and before that he was on Coumadin to keep it movin'. When we read the literature for his blood thinner it said that green tea and grapefruit can mess with the part of your liver that metabolize the medication and your INR levels can go a bit wacky. And maybe some hyper toxicity issues. Not sure if Coumadin and Plavix are similar.http://www.drugs.com/mtm/green-tea.html