Monday, August 27, 2007

Less trans fat dunkin donuts


For some reason, those words should not be used close together. However, according to the Associated Press, this company will announce today that they will be eliminating most trans fat from their menu.

Now, I totally understand why this is happening. There is a lot of business and social pressure out there to do this. A lot of their competitors out there have already done this, or will be doing this. But.....

Is there nothing else sacred than a trans fat dunkin donut? Sure, the taste will be pretty much the same. Sure, there is an obesity problem in this country and in some places around the world. But, c'mon! And, forget going to krispy creme....
Dunkin' is ahead of Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Inc., which has yet to roll out a zero gram trans fat doughnut but hopes to do so. Brian Little, a spokesman for the North Carolina-based chain, said, "We continue to work aggressively with outside supply partners, and our goal is to get to zero trans fatty acids while maintaining great Krispy Kreme taste."
Oh well. What am I going to do now? Maybe I'll try to unlock my iPhone - that sounds like fun. Sorry I was away so long away from my blog. I'll try harder to be here this week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trans fat free DD? WOO HOO! Let's all run over there!!!!!!! Won't taht count for breakfast and exercise (running?)

Anonymous said...

Isn't there anything sacred in this country anymore?! If I want to eat a donut, by golly I want some guilt to come along with doing so!

Anonymous said...

Doc A:

You DON'T need to apologize for having a busy week and not blogging as much. While we DO miss your posts, we understand.
No more self-flagelation--unless of course you're into that--but that's a different story. Give yourself a break, man.

Kirsten said...

As long as they taste the same, I'll be fine. Rumor has it that we're getting DD here in Vegas sometime this year. I miss DD soooo much.

BTW, you're the second person this week to do a post involving DD. This must be some sort of sign.

Dr. A said...

Lois - I'll give you exercise credit for running to DD!

CWM - I agree. Gimme the bad donut and the guilt!

GMG - Thanks for giving me a pass. I just hate being away from my addiction (blogging) for a long time :)

The Curmudgeon said...

But what if the donuts don't taste the same?

Recently one of the big cereal companies tried to make all of their cereals more healthy... and the Alpha-Bits tasted like sawdust.

Of course, maybe Dunkin' Donuts no longer cares too much about the donuts: DD seems to be Starbucks' biggest competitor. And the last time I was in a Dunkin' Donuts -- and ordered donuts only -- no coffee -- they looked at me like I'd asked for a steak or pheasant under glass or something else entirely not on the menu.

Dr. A said...

Kirsten - Hope you get that DD out there in Vegas.

Curmudgeon - Steak or pheasant under glass? Great reference....