Thursday, August 16, 2007

The baby formerly known as baby


Remember in the mid 1990's when Prince was mad as his record label and changed his name to that unpronounceable symbol? What happened? It really didn't do to much for his career and everyone called him "The Artist Formerly Known As Prince" or "The Artist." Meethinks that a Chinese couple has been listening to too many Prince albums lately.
BEIJING (Reuters) - A Chinese couple tried to name their baby "@", claiming the character used in e-mail addresses echoed their love for the child, an official trying to whip the national language into line said on Thursday.

The unusual name stands out especially in Chinese, which has no alphabet and instead uses tens of thousands of multi-stroke characters to represent words.

"The whole world uses it to write e-mail, and translated into Chinese it means 'love him'," the father explained, according to the deputy chief of the State Language Commission Li Yuming.

While the "@" simple is familiar to Chinese e-mail users, they often use the English word "at" to sound it out -- which with a drawn out "T" sounds something like "ai ta", or "love him", to Mandarin speakers.
Uh, yeah. I get it. In looking at weird baby names, one doesn't have to look to far. I mean, just look at Hollywood babies. Some of them are definitely scarred for life. I also did a quick Google search of changing names to people like Peyton Manning and Jesus Christ. What is the most unique baby name you've heard of?

6 comments:

Cathy said...

I don't think it's really weird or anything but I have a niece with an unusual name. It is "Ponda". I cant imagine her being named or called anything else. Now, if her middle name was something like "Rosa" (thank God, it's not) then that would be weird!

Nikki Neurotic said...

My dad found a doozy of a name in the local paper yesterday...he actually showed it to me to make sure he wasn't seeing things. I couldn't even think of how to pronounce it other than it started liked Xochil.

On my blog...I've got a bit of an on going series with strange baby names that started when I saw a Swedish couple wanted to name their daughter Metallica after the heavy metal band, then an English woman followed a family tradition of naming her kid after a very long line of English boxing champions.

My "favorite" weird name has to be the name Bono (of U2) gave to his oldest son. It is, in it's entirety "Elijah Bob Patricus Guggi Q Hewson"...obviously they just call him Eli.

Anonymous said...

Odd...very odd!

A lady once told me about a set of twins born named
Lemonjello & orangejello.

They were pronounced Lehmonjullo
and orongejullo.

Your Mother said...

Some children's names are like vanity plates for parents!

SuperStenoGirl said...

Rocket Science has to be one of the worse names I've heard of. Dweezil is a short second. Moon Unit is also up there.

Ones I've personally seen:

Justin Sane.

Baballa Baballa.

Duckem.

Anonymous said...

I know these are old jokes but I'm sure there are people out there with these names

Ellis Dee
Pat McGroin
Phil McCracken
Ben Dover
Anita Bath
Seymor Butts
Al B. Zienya
Anita Bath
Betty Humpser
....old joke....but still funny