Saturday, August 18, 2007

Government program for medical marijuana

Are you a supporter of medical marijuana? Do you support the legalization of marijuana? Well, this story is for you. The governor of the great state of New Mexico is proposing a government program to pay for those who need marijuana for medicinal purposes. (Associated Press)
On Friday, [New Mexico Governor Bill] Richardson directed the [New Mexico Department of Health] to plan for full implementation of the program, such as preparing the regulations that will permanently govern how it operates.

Under the law, the department is to issue the rules by October, including for licensing marijuana producers and developing a system to distribute the drug to qualified patients.

The new state law allows the use of marijuana for pain or other symptoms of debilitating illnesses such as cancer, glaucoma, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, HIV-AIDS and certain spinal cord injuries.

New Mexico is the 12th state to legalize marijuana for certain medical uses, but it's the only one calling for state-licensed production and distribution of the drug.
Supporters of this policy should be cheering, right? Well, there is a little itty-bitty hangup in federal law stating that the distribution and use of marijuana is illegal -- DUH! So, this may become a state government vs federal government media circus.

New Mexico, and any other state considering taxpayer sponsored medical marijuana, has to be very careful if they actually decide to implement this. (My personal feeling is that this is political posturing, and will never happen since the NM governor is running for US president.)

Canada made this same move. And, instead of people being happy, they eventually became upset because of the perceived low quality marijuana that was being given out. Check out the news report below or click here.


5 comments:

coaster1robert said...

They should take Maronal,it's safer.

Chrysalis said...

I wonder how good it really is at controlling pain. I haven't a clue. When I was sick someone offered to get me some(they didn't know me very well), and all I could think of was the concerts I've been to where it wreaked of the stuff. Just the thought of the smell made me feel even more nauseous.

Dr. A said...

Coaster1Robert - Marinol is actually interesting stuff. Thanks for bringing it up.

Scott - Thanks for your post on this subject. You can read it here.

CA - There have been some research studying pain control. But, obviously it's use in a medical setting remains controversial

gay CME guy said...

About a year or so ago, I had on 'off the record' discussion with my PM&R doc about pot and pain mgt. He told me that there was more research being done with cannibinoids, and it's positive effect on pain mgt. I dunno, I think all things being equal, the doobie would be less detrimental to my body than continuous popping of oxycotin.
I did find ithumorous (but not surprising) --leave it to the gov't to produced sub-par pot. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

I have a eating disorder and i have tryed every thing to make it better I have went to many doctors but they never lison they just look at their book and say this is what is wrong but the only thing is that I my self am not in that book they have no trouble writing hard druges that usley end up killing them or some one eles I have used marjuana to eat and relaxe sence I was 13 I don't ubuse it I don't understand why their is know help out here for people like me I know of several others that are the same way please help if you can