Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Beijing Olympic Smog

Ok, so I admit that I didn't know that the olympics were opening this weekend. I'm not a big olympic fan, and it really doesn't interest me that much. However, I saw this picture which is apparently a US Olympic cyclist who showed up at the airport with a mask - with concern about the city smog.

When I did further research on this, I found the picture below, which, if accurate, really shows the air pollution problem at the olympic site. If this is really the case, then the health part of this story got a little more interesting for me, and may warrant more reading and exploration....


3 comments:

Rositta said...

This was a protest, pure and simple and good them the entire team. Yes, there is pollution in China and when my offspring visited there he occasionally wore a mask but a white one. The athletes have been asked not to make political statements but the very fact that they wore black masks was very telling to me and the world, I thought...ciao

Anonymous said...

I saw this photo as well and I can't believe that the athletes will be able to perform to the best of their abilities under such conditions!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it is pretty crazy. But it doesn't seem to be stopping Michael Phelps! Did anyone hear the interview that KIIS FM's Ryan Seacrest with him? You can hear it at http://www.kiisfm.com/cc-common/losangeles/podcast/kiis.html