Monday, May 07, 2007

The meeting escape

I was at a meeting last week, and that's why I wasn't posting anything. And, actually, I'll be a meeting next week as well. Forgive me if this post is kind of out of sorts. When you don't post for a few days, it's difficult for me to get back into things. And, I've been feeling a little self-reflective lately.

What is it about meetings that makes me think and reflect? Am I in such a rat race at home that I've forgotten how to open my mind? Am I so focused on the next task at home that I cannot see the big picture?

I also have to admit that my blog was causing me a little stress before I left. I was feeling the pressure to post - which I know is ridiculous, but that was where I was at. Absence does make the heart grow fonder (or however that saying goes). I knew blogging was calling me back today. So, here I am.

I have found that I really need to pace myself at meetings. Ten years ago, I could wake up early, go all day, go out to the bars until early in the morning, and then start again the next day.

Now? I have learned that sleep is very important at meetings, particularly if you're presenting a session. And, having one or two drinks the night before a presentation may not be the best choice.

Is anyone still reading this? If you are, thanks, because I'm just rambling. If for anything else, it was nice to get out of town for a few days and to think about something other than work.

I dreaded coming back home, but knew that it was necessary. The good news is that I'll be leaving town again at the end of this week. I haven't taken this much time off in a while. Sorry for the babbling. I'll try again tomorrow for a more cohesive post....