Monday, March 19, 2007

Macho men heal faster


Remember this song from The Village People? Well, according to a study by the University of Missouri-Columbia, "men who fit the classic Hollywood tough-guy mould may be able to heal more quickly." (inthenews.uk)
In the study of occupations typically associated with masculinity such as the armed forces, the researchers found there was a correlation between their machismo and their ability to recover from serious injury.

Writing in the American Psychological Association's journal Psychology of Men and Masculinity, Professor Glen Good of the MU college of education said there were some interesting conclusions.

"It has long been assumed that men are not as concerned and don't take as good of care of their health," he said, "but what we're seeing here is that the same ideas that led to their injuries may actually encourage their recovery."
What does this mean for me? Well, I guess I should really protect against a potentially fatal wound, like a paper cut. Or, I could achieve my manliness and become someone like The Black Knight. HA!

6 comments:

Awesome Mom said...

I guess I am doomed too since I am very non manly.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

ha! good one doc!

smiles, bee

Foofa said...

It would be interesting to see how many of the actually healed faster and how many just thought they were healthy because they were so macho. I would guess the study would account for that though, nevermind.

Dr. Deb said...

I read this too, but worry that the results of this "one" study could make men even more avoidant when it comes to health care.

Visionary & Medium Extraordinaire said...

But is that just a myth that the more macho the guy is the more of a whimp he is. Don't they all faint by the sight of blood, and don't they all cry in silence if i.e. they get a papercut on their thumb?
That's what I've always been told. The manlier, the whimpier?!

Crazy Working Mom said...

Great story. I did actually hear this on the radio yesterday!

I linked you today in my Tuesday's links.