Monday, November 13, 2006

Press Conference


Thanks so much for attending today's much awaited press conference. I know that there has been a lot of rumors about me on the internet over the past week:
Is Doctor Anonymous ok?
Why has he not been posting as much lately?
What's the big announcement?

First of all, you've probably heard the latest news on people like Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack, Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold, and Arizona Senator John McCain.

I would like to put the rumors to rest. I am definitely not going to seek either the republican nor the democratic nomination for President of the United States in 2008. I have decided to spend more time with my family and with my blog. I feel that I can better serve the country doing fake political announcements like this so that I can announce what I really wanted to say.... HA!

So, I got this e-mail last week that piqued my interest.
I've been meaning to contact you, to see if you were interested in
hosting Grand Rounds -- your blog is excellent, and you're a frequent
contributor to the weekly carnival.

We are booked into 2007 -- but the scheduled host for 11/21 has just
dropped out. Would you be interested in stepping in to fill this role?
I and some of the other hosts have prepared some tips and pointers to
guide you through it, if you're interested.

Please let me know, Nick Genes
Who is Dr. Nick Genes? He is the illustrious "grand pooba" of Grand Rounds - the wildly popular and most prestigious medical blog carnival out there. The self-described "best that the medical blogosphere has to offer."

I've been toying with the idea for weeks of contacting Nick myself, but I really didn't know if I could handle putting something like that together. I've even commented in the past that the work load in preparing Grand Rounds - especially to maintain its high quality, could maybe be too much for me. Plus, I'm on call next weekend. So, it was probably the worst time for me to try to put something together.

So, what did I do? I said yes. What am I nuts? Probably. Last week, after I accepted, I started doing a lot of research and reading a lot of past GR posts. I also read advice from previous hosts on how to make the experience not too crazy. I mean, hey, if someone as busy as Kim Emergiblog can do it, maybe even on call, I could make it happen.

So Tuesday, head on over to The Rumors Were True to check out GR 3.08. Then, get ready for me! My goal is simple - To make this the best Grand Rounds, ever! Not too much pressure on myself, huh?

I'll have the GR 3.09 posting rules and deadline up Tuesday. But, for now, I'm still figuring out how I'm going to do this and still remain sane. I'll have to stock up on Diet Coke. But, hey, I'm Doctor Anonymous, and I'm a blogaholic....

Addendum: I just ran across this interesting post from said Emergiblog. She listed some concerns and some suggestions on how to make Grand Rounds better. I invite you to make comments over there. I'm going to be watching that discussion very carefully.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck!!! Better you than me lol

Mimi Lenox said...

You can do this, Dr. A! I made it through Peace Globes with caffeine and cheesecake. We have faith in you.

Anonymous said...

Haha... you can do it Dr. A!

Sarebear said...

SWEET!

Mother Jones RN said...

We need someone who understands health care issues in the White House. Can I be your running mate if you decide to throw your hat in the ring?

Are you planning to have a theme when you host Grand Rounds?
MJ

Dr. A said...

MJRN, I haven't decided whether I'm going to have a theme yet. The discussion on Emergiblog has been interesting and I've been following that.

Anonymous said...

"Interesting" means you don't like it! Did you like the old colors better?

Anonymous said...

Conga Rats Dr. A!

Anonymous said...

Wow...You will do a great job hosting "Grand Rounds."....If it were me, which it never will be, I wouldn't do a theme...People get left out when you do a theme. I hate leaving people out of things. If they take time to submit I know you will want to post their submissions. But that is just me and my opinion.

Congrats Doc.!

Penrick said...

Have fun - you will be great.

When you run for President, I will be your running mate. Just to be upfront, I plan on having lots of sex in the White House.

HVS said...

it'll be great-looking forward to reading it!

Anonymous said...

I left a comment for you on my page. I am always greatly appreciative for honest opinions :) I am still trying to mess with it to find something. Thanks!

Fat Doctor said...

Dude, you can do it! I hosted back in April, when I was most likely having some strokes. It was a strange time in my life. I don't think hosting GR caused my strokes, necessarily, but it the strokes did blunt my ability to be witty and bright as I hosted GR. Better luck to you, Dr. A! I'll be awaiting submission guidelines. Get that Diet Coke in the fridge so it's nice and cold!

nickgenes said...

"I don't think hosting Grand Rounds caused my strokes, necessarily."

That's just about the most honest and scary thing I've read about GR in a while...