Friday, November 03, 2006

Fishy situation

I think that I might have said this during my blogcast, but I love fresh seafood. When I went to San Francisco last week, I had seafood every single day - and probably every meal if I could.

Data from the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization (we know how reliable the UN is, right?), estimates that about one-third of edible fish and seafood species have been virtually been wiped out in the past 50 years. At this rate, all edible fish will be gone by 2048.
Fishing was only one human factor affecting marine biodiversity. Pollution, habitat destruction and climate change all took their toll of fish species. Loss of fish from oceans also had harmful repercussions, including a deterioration of water quality, less protection of shorelines, oxygen depletion, and higher numbers of toxic algal blooms.
Personally, I don't really know if I believe this. It kind of smells like the global warming debate - except that the environmental debate shifts from the air to the sea. I see this as a push from the that political group to try to further their agenda.

However, the best thing and the funniest thing about this story is the title of the article from The Age in Australia: "Get Your Fish'n'Chips Now!" HA!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Moly...2048?

Guess I know what I want for dinner.

Anonymous said...

LOL, my first thought was "Well, I'd better eat as much as I can now!"

I don't believe it . . . not at all.

So, let's all have some smoked salmon tonight . . . ;o)

Anonymous said...

Our local news says that this area probably won't lose its seafood, but I can see our local fisherman profiting from that!

It's me, T.J. said...

I feel the same as you concerning the global warming thing and now the fish thing...

"They" said that we were going to have a horrible hurricane season, possibly worse than Katrina. And that it was all because of global warming.

Well... hurricane season is almost over.

Thank God.

It was almost unbearable.

later...

God's Servant said...

interesting blog! God bless u!

Anonymous said...

Attention, friends of Miss Bee, November 4, 2006 is a special day for Miss Bee. There is a party going on at my blog, “sarge charlie”, which is on Miss Bee’s sidebar. Everyone is going to be there, stop on by and join the party.

Anonymous said...

does that include salmon farms? nooooooo!!!
i was reading this and the post on caffiene while i was drinking my morning iced coffee....i didnt know there was that much caffiene in energy drinks. i drink them at work. no wonder i get so much done!

oh yeah, hi! nice blog. :)