Saturday, June 02, 2007

Flea thoughts

I just want to warn you right now. There are going to be no new relevations in this post. If you're looking to see if I have this uniquely new spin on this situation, then just click on to whatever you were going to read next. This post is going to be just rambling thoughts....

Over the past two days or so, I've been reading and reading and reading all the reactions and analysis on this situation. There are very emotional posts, there are blame directed posts, there are self-righteous posts, over what? Over a guy who got called out on having a blog...

This just happened to be a great media moment because it happened on the witness stand. Just wait, one of the fall season premiere episodes of Grey's or House or whatever medical TV show, is going to have this moment....

Some people out there in blogland are proclaiming that this case proves that there is no such thing is anonymous blogging. Heck, I could have told you that - and I have - here, here, and here....

There are even some out there who say that either any docs who blog anonymously are cowards and should blog under your real name anyway (they say this case proves that). Or, still others who say that medical bloggers should make up a set of rules and stick by them. Uh, yeah, that's a great idea (I don't think so).

Just from my personal point of view (i'm not speaking for anyone but myself), if I wanted to blog under my real name, than I would from the beginning. It took the realization about six months ago that anyone out there can find out who you are, where you are, and any kind of personal information that they want to. This really freaked me out, but I kept blogging nonetheless.

About a set of rules, I think this is great for people who use their real name blogging. I also think it's ok for those who feel the need that medical bloggers need some kind of credibility and legitimacy. However, I think this sets the bar higher than it needs to be. Just another reason for enemies to come after you and your blog.

I'm all for patient privacy, but to put all of your credentials out there, for me, I'm not sure about that. If you "anonymously" blog, if you put your credentials out there that some of these rules say, why not just use your real name anyway.

Are there any huge ramifications to the medical blogosphere because of this case? I continue to stand by my past statements in which I've said I'm concerned about the continued growth of the medical blogosphere from the grassroots. Many of these blogs will continue to go private quietly and other potential bloggers will be discouraged to even start.

You know, Flea is probably out there right now, watching all of this happen, and laughing at us for all the attention that we're giving this case. He's probably started a new blog, with a different name, with a different identity, and blogging about anything but medicine. All the best to you, Flea.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Dr. A, I doubt he is laughing at all. I suspect this has taken a serious toll on his professional life. It was front page news. There are a number of people calling him all sorts of things. How will colleagues react?I understand he is losing some of his patients over it.

Right now, I hope he has a lot of real life support.

Anonymous said...

I also don't think he is laughing..But, I hope down the road one day he will be. Maybe he can turn it all around and end up having the last laugh, after all.

I have also read on some blogs that his patients are beginning to leave, after this front page news story came out. As I so well remember he was always low on patients anyway, and trying to get new one's all the time, so no this is not a good or happy time for him.

I also remember that he had stated several times that his father was an attorney. He also said he didn't tell his Dad that he was being sued. I wish he would have told him!

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what Cathy said.

This too shall pass for Flea. As for the rest of us, it is a lesson in defining our own "acceptable risk." We learn, and we grow . . .

I doubt that he is reading the blogs right now, or wants to read what has been written about him, but I hope that he realizes the level of support he has received here.

Dr. Deb said...

Me too.