Thursday, June 14, 2007

Happy Flag Day



The Fourth of July was traditionally celebrated as America's birthday, but the idea of an annual day specifically celebrating the Flag is believed to have first originated in 1885. BJ Cigrand, a schoolteacher, arranged for the pupils in the Fredonia, Wisconsin Public School, District 6, to observe June 14 (the 108th anniversary of the official adoption of The Stars and Stripes) as 'Flag Birthday'. In numerous magazines and newspaper articles and public addresses over the following years, Cigrand continued to enthusiastically advocate the observance of June 14 as 'Flag Birthday', or 'Flag Day'.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Flag Day!

Dr. Deb said...

Oh yeah. It's Flag Day. I forgot. Been in all day under the weather. I hope there are many flags proudly waving today!

Gledwood said...

Hi dr Anonymous - still posting interesting stuff I see. I often pass thru here when I go hopping on the Random Blog button!
Just thought I'd say hi again
all the best
from
Gledwood
"vol 2" ...

Gregg said...

I hope that Flag Day will once again mean something someday .