Monday, June 18, 2007

Father's day memories


My dad and I always play golf on Father's Day. We usually begin the day with a family lunch, and then dad and I watch a little bit of the US Open golf tournament on television before going out to our local course.

I think I was about 10 years old when dad introduced me to the game of golf. I remember seeing Jack Nicklaus on television and asking my dad about the different shots that I was seeing on tv. I had no idea what he was talking about, but he was so happy trying to teach me.

As we went out to the practice range those first few times, it was kind funny trying to fit a 10 year old into adult golf clubs. I was lucky to just contact the ball. Dad was always patient with me, even when this snotty kid was throwing his clubs in frustration.

Through the years, golf has been a connecting point between me and my dad. We talked about golf and talked about life. He always managed to teach the lessons of life through golf - be patient, don't beat yourself up when you're frustrated, always remain optimistic, and shake off the bad shot because there's always another chance to do better.

In the last couple of years, I've come to the realization that dad is not going to be around forever. That's really a humbling thought. "Hey Dad! When can we play golf again?" As I said that today, I had a flashback to years ago when he was first teaching me the game. Happy Father's Day, Dad...

6 comments:

Nikki Neurotic said...

I'm glad that you have such a good relationship with your dad, I do too. It's such a nice thing to hear about people who do appreciate their dad's...I know too many people who either didn't know their dad's or do not get along with them.

Fat Doctor said...

Nice post!

The Angry Medic said...

Fat Doctor! You're ALIVE!

And yep, I like it that you have such a good relationship with your dad.

And his advice about golf was spot on too - I've never tried it, but as a doctor I'm gonna have to, aren't I. (Plus it's one of Donald Trump's favourite pastimes, and I'm, like, a HUGE Trump fan.) *suppresses schoolgirl giggle* Ahem. That wasn't me.

Chrysalis said...

Angry Medic you crack me up...
Dr.A. that is such a sweet post. Dad's are indeed so special. They don't realize the role they really play in their children's lives. They play a huge part and isn't it great how they are still there for us when we are grown? Make sure to make the time with him, it means as much to him, as it does to you.

Dr. Deb said...

What a sweet post.

Symbiosis said...

I miss my dad...hes the best thing that can ever happen to any little girl...I am a 29 yo physician and he still treats me like i am his spoilt teenage doll...I love him sooo much!