Tuesday, August 01, 2006

In memorium

Five years ago today, I started my current job. Should be a happy anniversary for me, right? Well, it's kind of bitter sweet, because also five year ago today is the anniversary of someone I knew -- his name, Korey Stringer.

This may sound vaguely familiar to some people out there. Korey was a very soft spoken and likable guy who happened to be 335 pounds and played football in the NFL for the Minnesota Vikings.

Five years ago yesterday, the weather was similar to what's happening in most of the US today -- hot and humid -- in the 90's, which for Minnesota is pretty hot. Korey was in full football gear (which you'll see in the ESPN article above). He collapsed and died 15 hours later -- he was only 27 years old.

The cause? No, not a heart attack. No, not drugs. No, not an injury sustained on or off the field. It was heat stroke. Heat stroke? Who gets that anymore? With all of our modern technology, you would think that a condition like this would be eliminated.

At the time, it caused quite a stir around these parts. Particularly because August is the time when high school, grade school, and all kinds of football training start. The sad part is that only five years later, people forget what happened to Korey Stringer and that it could happen again.

So, check on your loved ones today, whether they're young or old, whether they're big or small. Remind them about dehydration and heat stroke. And, think of Korey today.

11 comments:

Lea said...

That was a very sad day. Do you have any idea how is son is doing?

Dr. A said...

There has been a lot of family turmoil in the past five years involving everyone from the NFL to the family itself. I don't have any kind of first hand information, but, obviously, it's been rough on them since that tragic day.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that post, Dr. Anon. I will check on my Mom-in-law today.

Although it's extremely rare here in Maine, it's supposed to be in the high 90's today, and hit the triple digits tomorrow. Although it's never hot enough for me, many of the local snow-bunnies often think it's too hot when the temps reach 80°.

Anonymous said...

ahhh yes well were having hundred degree weather her hundred plus really and my hubby works in a warehouse with no air... i worry about him alot!!!

Heidi said...

How tragic and sad...

In my part of Canada the humidex hit 45cel.

I got into a car that was parked outside for 2 hrs..No ac, I thought I was going to pass out..Thankgod I carry water with me everywhere.

HP said...

I don't know about this story but how tragic. People play sports here in ridiculous temperatures, people jog in the heat of a 40 degree day. Quite crazy.
I experienced heat stroke in Tunisia once. Apparently, I was talking German to fellow Brits before having a seizure and losing consciousness. Quick action by people around me probably saved me from more serious consequences but it's a lesson I'll never forget. And I've never been able to tolerate the heat since.
A timely reminder Dr. A. Thanks.

Dreaming again said...

Ugh ...heat ...we've been in triple digits for longer than I care to admit ...and our football players, bands and cheerleaders are out there practicing getting ready for school to start ...

There have been 6 kids collapse in the last week in our area ... has anything changed in schedule times or cancelling of practices? No ... they brought out water jugs and provided gatoraide and juice at the cost of the school districts.

I saw on the news where in one community ... ( I *think* in Florida, but not sure) one child died from the heat on the football team one day, and the very next day, another child died ...same team. Also from heat.

I love sports ...and school sports programs ...but come on people! Use your brains!

Dr. A ... would you mind if I hosted a BA meeting Thursday?

Dr. A said...

DA, sure, be my guest! The only requirement is that the BA meeting is fun. If you can guarantee me that, then it's all yours!

Sarebear said...

I was out n' about last week, and even though I felt weak and a bit faint, I kept telling myself, c'mon, you're just being silly, a little heat doesn't do you in, you are just worrying about nothing.

But then, after awhile, I said NO. Heat DOES do you in, and it HAS done people in this summer, unfortunately. So I decided to just lay back and be "lazy" for the rest of the day, as I think I pushed myself too hard out in the heat and felt rather in need of taking care of.

Anyway. It's not silly, it's real. Thanks for the reminder.

Dreaming again said...

ooooooh yea! I can't wait!! I will let you know when I get it all ready!

NeoNurseChic said...

I worked 3-11 tonight, and the nurse giving me report at 3pm was leaving to go play softball. I thought she was nuts.... My great-aunt was hospitalized on Sunday night and released last night - for dehydration. She had just been moved to an assisted living place and was basically just about to spend her first night alone. My aunt had taken her shopping, and she'd left her in the car with the A/C on full blast while she ran in the store for a few. She came out and was walking my great-aunt into the store to show her something, and my great-aunt collapsed on the sidewalk. My aunt said that my great-aunt made a funny face with her mouth, and she's had a TIA before, so they were afraid it was that. But it was dehydration, and now she's out and feeling much better...

Scary especially seeing as some people don't have A/C...and it's always the little old ladies in the city that nobody checks on, and they dont' even open the windows...live in these stuffy houses. It was 95 degrees when I left work tonight - at midnight. I looked back at the city when I was part of the way home and it was hard to see the city lights due to the thick hazy smog in the air.

Be careful everybody!!