Saturday, November 21, 2009

Dr. A Show 128: Mammogram Guidelines



For a while now, I've been toying with the idea of "opinion" related shows instead of just reporting what's in the news and/or interview-related shows. This week the US Preventative Services Task Force announced new guidelines when it comes to breast cancer screening.

In watching the news following this announcement, I only saw people who were against these recommendations. Of course, opinions like this make people watch cable news, make people read websites, and makes people buy newspapers (if anyone reads news papers anymore). I did not see the other side of this story being told anywhere.

Well, I can tell you that this week the other side of this story was being discussed at my office. A lot of women who saw me at the office this week told me that they supported these new USPSTF recommendations, but they dare not any anything to their co-workers, or friends, or family. Don't get me wrong. I understand the point of the view of the cancer survivors, oncologists, radiologists, gynecologists, and others that cable news have chosen to interview on TV.

However, those on the other side are not only being ignored, but they are shunned by those against the recommendations. I share a story in Show 128 which I hope sheds some light onto the other side of the debate. You can see and listen to this story in the video above. I also encourage you to check out the entire show, which you can listen to in the player above. Or, if you like, you can download the show and listen to the show anytime by clicking here.

1 comment:

Evan said...

Nice Site layout for your blog. I am looking forward to reading more from you. http://bit.ly/2Lsw39