Sunday, October 29, 2006

Time travel

What a long day yesterday. We left our San Francisco hotel at around noon to make our way to the airport. We told our taxi driver that we were going to the airport. "San Francisco airport?" the driver asked. All of us looked at each other and kind of told ourselves, "Duh!"

Our driver then told us that Oakland airport was about the same distance from our hotel and one time he took a passenger all the way to SF airport only to find out that the person was flying out of Oakland airport. Interesting.

All of us thought that it would be a heavy travel day and there would be long lines at the airport. But, we checked in without incident and went through the security line with no problem.

Our first snag occurred when we were told that our departure from SF would be delayed for an hour. Unlike when we had a straight flight to SF, we had a connecting flight going home. So, we began to worry about missing our connecting flight in Chicago, and maybe losing our luggage.

Four hours later, we landed in Chicago. The flight attendant told the plane to allow those with connecting flights off the plane first. Of course, no one listened. So, we had to negotiate from our 50th row seat to other passengers that we had to rush to our connecting flight. Most people were reasonable, but there's always that one person whose life is always more important than yours.

Luckily, the airport has an outside shuttle bus which takes people from the "c" concourse to the "e" concourse, where our gate was. There would be no way that we could walk that entire way in the five minutes we had to change planes. But, we made it home, with all of our luggage, ok.

It was past midnight when we landed at home airport. Someone said, "It's really 11pm anyway with that time change thing." Oh yeah, I forgot that daylight savings time ends and we had to turn our clocks back.

What an interesting concept. Some bureaucrat determines what time it is and has the power to "time travel." In doing a quick search, I found an interesting article describing the history of daylight savings time. And, Congress passed a law last year that will extend daylight savings time in 2007. (NPR)

These last 10 days have been very relaxing. Not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow, but I know I have to. Thanks for the great feedback on my blogcasts. They were fun! Don't know when my next one will be. A different change of pace from the written blog.

9 comments:

Mother Jones RN said...

I'm glad you made it home in one piece. I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures when you return to work. Some how I think I know what you'll be writing about:-)

MJ

Bobby Griffin said...

Hey Dr. A,

Just stopping by to inform you that you no longer hold the top position among my links list. Nothing personal, just reporting the facts in case you were interested. I hope your travels turn out OK!

Anonymous said...

yeah doc, that barb outdid ya! sigh, oh well, send bobby some more money and all will be well. barb and i tease each other about being higher on peoples link list, i told her i was going to change the name of my blog to a a a a muffin53 and that ought to do it for all those alphabetical lists! anyway, glad you are back safe and sound,now where are the pics??? bee

TheCleaningWoman said...

Back to work after a decent break is always hard. Hope it goes well.

Anonymous said...

I forgot about daylight savings time too, and nobody in my household told me to change my alarm clock. Lucky me woke up an extra hour early this morning.

Have fun back at work, but don't work too hard.

Anonymous said...

Yes, coming back from a trip (aaargh...back to reality) is always rough. Much worse than the "Sunday evening blues", heh heh....

Anonymous said...

Phew! I would have thought there was no way you could have made that connection in Chicago. Even with the little shuutle, 5 minutes is cutting it close.

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog and I'm probably the cab driver. I've had an identical conversation with passengers in the not too distant past. Drive for yellow cab, about 60 years old, bald, with short beard. Glad you made it home safely and btw, I still ask this question whenever a passenger says "take me to the airport."

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog and I'm probably the cab driver. I've had an identical conversation with passengers in the not too distant past. Drive for yellow cab, about 60 years old, bald, with short beard. Glad you made it home safely and btw, I still ask this question whenever a passenger says "take me to the airport."