Sunday, October 01, 2006

BA in space

No, this is not an actual blogaholics anonymous meeting. It's just me being jealous. How cool would it be to blog from space? The topics would be endless. Well, this actually happened to Anousheh Ansari who is an American business woman.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, she paid a cool $20 million to be a space tourist on a Soyuz vehicle. She touched down yesterday in Kazakhstan with her Russian cosmonaut counterpart.
[And] she wrote about the smell of space - at least the space inside the orbiting lab: "It was strange … kind of like burned almond cookie."
I read some of her blog, and it's interesting stuff. How soon will you and me get to check out space like that? Maybe sooner that you think, if Richard Branson has anything to say about it (according to this article from space.com). At the slightly cheaper price of $200,000, you too can spend time in space - about 2.5 hours which would include a more than a few minutes of weightlessness.
“If it was ready next week, I’d be there,” Alan Watts, who has traded in two million Virgin Atlantic frequent flyer miles for a ride on SpaceShipTwo, told SPACE.com. “I’m really looking forward to it.”
Trading two million frequent flyer miles for a chance to travel in space? Hmmm. Is this guy nuts? Does he know how many useless magazine subscriptions he could get for two million miles? Some people just don't think sometimes -- HA!

9 comments:

Jeanne said...

I want to know, how did he get 2million frequent flier miles? I travel every week and have only accumulated.... 1/20th of that.

Hi, just browsing through and found your posts interesting!

HP said...

Interesting but I think I'll pass. I like my feet firmly on the ground...although, I did like the idea that the Virgin development could potentially decrease travel time from Australia to the UK to 30 minutes. Now that's tempting.

Sarebear said...

Ooo. FAR out, man! I wanna go . . .

katy said...

would love to go into space, oh well we have to have our dreams

thethinker said...

Only 2.5 hours?! That wouldn't be enough time for me to type out a blog entry from space. I'd be too busy flying around the cabin.

Mimi Lenox said...

Very very cool. I'm going to mention the space blogging story in Blog Chatter this evening. Would you mind if I linked my readers to your story as well?

Bo... said...

I dunno, I'm getting so set in my small town ways that I don't even want to go to Dallas anymore.....

Marisapan said...

When I read about this, my first thought was about how you would keep a foley bag beneath the level of the bladder and kidneys in space.........

Parlancheq said...

Hmm, I don't even like to fly in a regular old airplane, so I think I'll have to live vicariously through you when you go blog in space.