Saturday, September 16, 2006

Spinach frenzy

From a media perspective, it's been interesting seeing this story evolve over the past 2 days. Here are my initial thoughts on the topic. Now, the American press is in full panic mode. Maybe it's a slow news day, but the cable news channels are focused on this story this morning.

Here is the latest according to the Chicago Tribune. It started out in 8 states, now there are cases in 20 states. About 100 cases now with one fatality. It has been traced to a manufacturer in California and a voluntary recall is taking place.

I only understood the angle of the home consumer. I really didn't realize the potential impact on places like restaurants. People are going into these eating establishments and asking to have all spinach removed from their meals - which I don't blame them for.

If there's an amusing part, here it is. One of the commentators has been saying all morning that this epidemic is only hitting healthy people, because only healthy people eat spinach. The manufacturer implicated makes healthy and organic products. "So does that mean that organic products are not as healthy as we thought they once were?" the commentator asked. Duh! As a spokesman for the unhealthy people of America, all I have to say is - Please pass the donuts! The press amuse me so much sometimes.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll take a cup of coffee with my donut . . .oh, wait, I'm on a diet! ;o) I'll skip the spinach and drink some of that green stuff by Odwalla . . .

Anonymous said...

you are the spokesperson of the unhealthy peoplein america? i've always thought it was me :)

Mo and The Purries said...

notice no one ever gets E. Coli from eating deep fried foods.... that good 'ole fryer zaps everything into salty goodness.

I just hope that organic farmers don't bear the brunt of negative publictity & lowered sales because of this. it's not organic farming that's to blame, it's the practice of using "hot" (uncomposted/unsterilized) liquid manure that is bad... but I've gone on & on about this at my blog, so I'm just saying that I hope the organic food industry doesn't take a hit because of some spinach growers using hot manure on their fields.

have a nice weekend ~ skip the salad & go right for the french fries!

Jules said...

:-( I'm sad about this spinach thing. Woe is me. What's a dieter to do?

Anonymous said...

huh and i just went on a healthy kick for my low fat diet.. here i was going to make.. vegetarian lasagana... and now i can't cause like one of the key ingrediants is *gasp* spinach... and yes thatis the honest to gosh truth.. it sucks cause i like veggie lasagana.. cripes...so not fair..

Anonymous said...

I ended up in the hospital one time after eating sprouts that were contaminated with e coli. I don't recommend it. If this happens to you, don't be stupid like I was. Go to the doctor BEFORE you have a fever of 106.

Anonymous said...

Um ... pass the donuts please? >;o)

My (very much needed) diet doesn't start until I leave camp ... that's at least two more weeks.

I'll worry about spinach then ...