Friday, September 22, 2006

On the road

So, I've been in DC for about three hours already. I thought about walking around a little bit, but I was a little tired when I got here. For those of you with Google Earth, you can find my exact location. I'm at 775 12th street NW. Do you see me waving?

Some people detest driving longer distances. I thrive on it. I had my iPod going and I may have driven a little above the speed limit a few times *smile*. Plus, people may think I'm nuts, but I enjoy big city driving - except for all the one way streets. For those who are not familiar with Washington, DC, there is a huge highway that goes around the city called the beltway.

I'm from a small town, and traffic to me is driving around my town at lunch time where the one main street has cars all over. But, some people would say that the DC beltway is nuts. Cars and trucks everywhere - weaving in and out and across three lanes of traffic. For me, really a good time! Don't worry, I got here safe.

The first thing I had to do was blog about it. I do admit that I felt like quite the loser sitting in the bar virtually by myself having my chicken sandwich and beer. No sympathy, please. This is only night one. There are a lot of good times to come (I hope).

Tomorrow, I'm going to try to visit with some friends that I have here. If that doesn't happen, then I'll walk around the city a bit. I haven't been here since I was a little kid. Right now, instead of getting needed sleep, I'm going to check my e-mail now and read through some of my comments, which I have neglected for the past few days - I'm Dr. A and I'm a blogaholic. Thanks for everybody checking in. I appreciate it!

14 comments:

ladybug said...

hiya doc!
glad you navigated The Capitol Beltway with ease...

now you gave us your addy - i might take a drive myself this weekend! HAHA only if i wasnt sick with the lovely bronchitis! i surely woulda met ya for dinner!

have a great time, it looks like great weather. are you gonna take pics for us?

Janet said...

DC is great! When I was on the East Coast I would regularly spend long weekends there. I miss doing that now that I'm on the Left Coast.

You like Big City driving, do you? Try Market Street in San Francisco at 5pm or anywhere along I-80 in the Bay Area at that time.

Anonymous said...

Hello, nice to meet you .
My name is Chikashi Munakata in Japan.
It is interesting blogs.

I am making a site introducing blogs of
all over the world .
If you can ,can I introduce your blog on my site ?

info@tabigo.net
http://tabigo.net/connections/t
http://tabigo.net

Dr. A said...

I'm going to SF next month. I've driven a rental car in Seattle before. It's great seeing the Space Needle as you get closer to the city, and Mt Ranier as you get farther away from Seattle.

Jansky T said...

DC is totally right down the road from me. Well, if you follow Rt 50 West all the way to Cincinnati. The typical DC sights are nice and all, but I was particularly impressed by the National Zoo. YOu should check it out. It's free.

Ian said...

I love long road trips. I live for driving vacations and day-trip explorations of my own beautiful state.

Enjoy your stay in the Capitol...don't get mugged and stay away from the politicians (lest whatever they have is catching).

Ian

Anonymous said...

I'am trying to remember the last time I was in DC..Its been awhile..I also love driving...

Listen, you have a great weekend....:)

Anonymous said...

I enjoy the driveing part it's a great way to see the country!!! hope things go well for you..
take care

Anonymous said...

Hello Dr A How is it going?
Keep that driving safe! I know you will natural pilot.
Hug X

katy said...

have a great weekend. i love driving me an the hubby always argue over who is going to drive, but i can run faster than him so i get to the drivers door first ha ha

rdl said...

Have fun!! wish we were there. BA convention.

Anonymous said...

Fun! Is the Fishmarket in Old Town Alexandria still popular? We used to go there in '89. They served seafood and cheap beer. There is a piano bar, and people get drunk and sing . . .hysterial!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

hi doc! went to dc this summer. great place to have fun. also went to arlington (charlie is retired military and he sooo wanted to see it) have fun and don't forget us!

Parlancheq said...

DC! I love DC. Lived there for many years and it's still my favorite city. I will admit, though, that I tried to avoid the Beltway at all costs. Lived and worked right in the city just so that I'd never have to drive on it. :)