Thursday, September 14, 2006

134340

If you don't know, this is the new name for the "Planet formerly known as Pluto." This will be a trivia question soon, so don't forget it. In other naming news, the rock in space that, in my opinion, got Pluto kicked out of the planet club, was also renamed. The "before" name was "2003 UB313" (by the International Astronomy Union). The "after" name is now Eris, after the Greek goddess of discord.

Here's the funny part. The nickname for "2003 UB313" was Xena, as in Xena: Warrior Princess, the TV show. I know this is not true, but to think that a television show had an impact on the universe, it makes me chuckle a little bit.

I think I have to let go of the "Pluto is a planet" thing. Time to move on.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

Save Pluto! Ooops, too late. LOL :) Came across this video yesterday and got a kick out of it. You might enjoy it http://youtube.com/watch?v=XR1BVetyGbA
(I sent an email a couple of days ago, did it get through to you?)

GaffLady said...

poor pluto! i made him as a small 8th grade science project..how can they take that all away???

Mo and The Purries said...

I think we should create Bloggers Unite Together To Save Pluto (BUTTS P, isn't THAT catchy??)

but, actually, I think Xena was named after the fab Lucy Lawless warrior princess, because her co-celestial body & asteroidy neighbor is nick-named Gabrielle.

BUTTS P 4-ever!

Sarebear said...

Nooo! Hey, if Eris is still not a planet, how come it gets a name and they remove Pluto's name? I don't get it.

Yeah there's a time to stop going on about something, but I'm never going to give up on hoping that Pluto becomes a planet again!

Kirsten said...

I don't know if I'll ever get used to Pluto not being a planet. I'm still trying to figure out the correct pronunciation of Uranus.

At least we all know Pluto will always have a home with his friends at Disney!

INAMINI said...

It's hard when everything you know to be truth in this world gets turned upside down. Life is a constant struggle, and science makes no sense anymoreQ

Anonymous said...

Hey ... look. Pluto has been a planet for a long long time. In my opinion, it's still a planet, no matter what some stuffy, self-important suits who are too lazy to meet more than once every few years decide ...

A rose by any other name ...

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I'm with Moof. "Pluto, you'll always be a planet to me . . ." ;o)

Mother Jones RN said...

I agree with moof, and Morgen, sign me up for Butts Ps are Us!

Mo and The Purries said...

one day we have BUTTS P and then soon after we have horrific diahrreal E.coli from spinach stories... coincidence? Maybe this is Pluto's revenge!?!
Sign up for BUTTS P today!