Sunday, April 20, 2008

The pressure of posting

This post is going to ramble. So, consider yourself warned. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that I have not been writing that much on this blog. And, I just wanted to get some thoughts out there so that they don't keep smoldering inside me.

Every time I sit down to try to write something, I feel nothing there - at least lately. The evolution of this blog is such that I started talking about patients a little bit. Then, move onward to talking about current events and topical things. And, now, I'm experimenting a little bit with a live internet radio show format and video blogging.

Especially in this latest chapter of my blogging life, I've always wanted to continue with writing on this text blog. I just don't know what I do to myself. I know I have written about this feeling here before. Of course, I want to write what I think is quality stuff. But, when I've sat down in the past 3-4 months, when I start typing, I have the thought of "If this is not the best thing you have ever written, then stop writing."

Now, it doesn't help that life has (definitely) been getting in the way of blogging over the past few months. But, when you think about it, everyone has a life outside of blogging (don't they). So, pretty much everybody has to find that balance between blog life and real life.

Since I have no scheduled guest this week on the show, this is something that I can talk about. It probably sounds too simple, but maybe the solution to writers block is - just writing. I think back to when I started this blog. I didn't care who was reading this. But, as people start to read and subscribe to this blog, something happens to the blog writer. I just have to continually remind myself that I blog for the joy of blogging and not for anything else....