Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Dr. A Show 29 Preview




The Doctor Anonymous Show is proud to welcome Paul Levy who is President and CEO of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. He is author of the blog Running A Hospital. I've always wondered what it's like being "on the other side." Of course, administrators probably feel sometimes that people like docs and nurses are on "the other side." (Video post above)

For those of you who don't work in medicine on a day-to-day basis, especially in a hospital, there are times when clinical people like docs and nurses clash with the administrative team on certain issues (did I say that nice enough). You have probably seen (or even written) posts about hospital administration. Now, don't get me wrong, this is not going to be a combative interview. But, I am looking forward to it.

For example, here is an excerpt from a post called The Ethics of CEO Blogging:
One of the discussants identified four domains that he thought of as important in thinking about the ethics of a CEO blog, and about which he posed some questions:

1. Voice: Is the CEO blogger blogging as an individual or as the voice of the organization? Charlie's blog is hosted in the HPHC website and linked to HPHC marketing materials. Yours is on Blogger and not linked to the BIDMC site. But when the CEO speaks, what he or she says can't be separated from the organization.

My reply: Whenever I give a speech, or testify before a legislative or regulatory body, or give a media interview, or write an article (for this blog or a journal) people assume that I am speaking from a position of authority and responsibility for the organization. That is just something that cannot be avoided. I do my best to be aware of the institutional consequences of what I say, regardless of the forum.
So, tune in Thursday, April 3rd at 9pm Eastern Time. Also, before Paul comes on the show, I will be talking about The April Fools Grand Rounds edition this week. I was happy to be one of the co-hosts for that edition. I'll be talking about that and give you some "behind the scenes" info that you won't get anywhere else. I'm also hoping that some of the other co-hosts will call in as well. Tune in for Show 29! You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I loved this week's Grand Rounds. I think the lack of comments is due to the fact that people are still enjoying it! There were plenty of submissions and 7 different blogs that had them. Personally, I am still going throught it all! I made a post about it at my blog, but I had to make time for that between reading all the wonderful stories that were submitted this week. Your blog was an enjoyable stop for GR. I hadn't been here before this week's Grand Rounds, and I regret not finding it sooner!