Monday, June 28, 2010

Obsessed



After getting back from dinner tonight, I was just channel surfing and found the a show on A&E television called "Obsessed" - whose 2nd season started tonight. The show shares stories from people who have mental health issues like obsessive/compulsive disorder, panic disorder, and other anxiety-type disorders.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to catch the show from the start of the episode. But, what I saw was definitely powerful and gripping television. You hear from the patient, their families, along with the professional whom they are working. I thought that the stories were packaged well and in a fair light. I'll be curious to see more of this show.

During the course of watching this show tonight, there are a couple of thoughts that I had. First, I was thinking that even back in college, there was a very negative stigma toward people with mental health issues - both in real life, along with in the media like on television or in movies. But, in the past few years, I believe that the stigma has been changing has the public has learned not only about the diagnoses, but also the stories behind the diagnoses.

The second thought that I had was about the people who are profiled in these stories. I ask myself what would motivate people to be on a show like this - especially this one. I mean, the people with these diagnoses have anxiety. Yet, they agree to be on national television which in some people, would cause even more anxiety. It's just interesting to me. What do you think about these last two thoughts?

3 comments:

SeaSpray said...

I haven't seen this show, but I agree with you Dr A. I wonder too.

Perhaps some of them think they may help others with the same problems if they come forward regarding their own personal issues. Self disclosure can help others suffering in silence with the same problems because they see they are not alone in their quiet desperation and can see there may be solutions that they were other wise blinded to. And maybe will give them courage to come forward to seek help.

I think it would be even worse to go on a tell all trashy show and air the family laundry type of show ..the Springer/Pauvich mentality.

Dr. A said...

Thanks SeaSpray for your comment. I agree with you in that I think that they think they will be able to help someone else with a similar or the same problem that they have...

Anonymous said...

I agree. And sometimes a sympathetic reporter can tell the story better than an individual can to his closest circle.
Back in the 1970's, a senator from Missouri was hounded from office because he suffered from depression. Imagine that happening today!
I enjoy your posts. Found you by accident, and I'll continue to follow